Sunday, July 6, 2008

Preparations

Timeline of Events:

Paper Chase Begins: Jan 2006
Dossier to China: 7/27/2006
Login Date: 8/7/2006
Referral: 5/5/2008
Letter of Intent: approx. 5/8/2008
Preapproval: 5/21/2008
Letter of Acceptance: 5/21/2008
Permission to Travel: 6/19/2008
Travel Dates: 7/12/2008-7/25/2008


It just hit me yesterday that I am less than one week away from seeing my daughter! I can't believe it. I have dreamed of this moment for two and a half years. I often wondered why it took so long to get her, why we waited so long and now I know. We had to wait for her to be born. God chose this child for us and tied that red thread from her toe to my finger. I am reeling her in bit by bit. What absolute joy to hold her in my arms it will be. What blessings she will bring us.


During the long wait I voraciously read anything about adoption I could get my hands on. I came across a book called "Cross-Cultural Adoption". It gives adoptive parents advice on how to answer common questions from friends, family and strangers about your baby. Some examples are, "Where does she come from? Is she really yours? How much did she cost? Why China and not your own country?" I think non adoptive parents might find the book useful in answering their own children's questions as well.



I am lucky to live in a small town full of adoptive families, so people have been very supportive of our decision to adopt. I am happy that Jaina will not be alone and that there are many other children from Asia that she will be able to identify with. Best of all she gets to live in a great place far enough from the big city to make her relatively safe, but full of culture and history. The warmest people I know live up here and she will make plenty of wonderful friendships. There are already so many people that are anticipating her arrival with much excitement. Indeed she will bring us so much joy and I am anxious to show her off!

1 comment:

itsmekaren said...

Hi Ivy! Karen (Miller) Gesa here. Your daughter is beautiful! Just wanted to let you know that our daughter is from Russia, so I know what you are going thru!! Best of luck and chat when you have time!