Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Reflections

I can't believe we leave China the day after tomorrow. Suprisingly I am sad about it, but I am looking forward to starting our lives with our new daughter. I miss home, my family and friends. I miss my daily routine and being among familiar surroundings. China is a beautiful country, but it's true beauty is its people. I hear that the number of children born with birth defects has risen 40 percent since 2001. Pollution is the number one cause and I hope they can bring that under control and make it their number one priority. However, it is also a worldwide responsiblity because the more we demand inexpensive goods, the harder China will work to meet those demands and at the expense of polluting their country and hurting their people. When the earthquake hit Sichuan Province the pandas were evacuated because their habitat was destroyed. A massive effort to protect their national mascot was put into place, but aren't the Chinese people more important than the panda bears?

The most promising thing is that the Chinese are hopeful and willing to help one another through this. Many people have expressed a desire to adopt children orphaned by the earthquake. Some couples whose children are grown also become prospective adoptive parents. Starting over is a big sacrifice but it is a wonderful thing to help an orphan by giving them the best gift of all--a family.

This morning Jaina woke up cooing and happy. Her Daddy got to her first, had her diaper changed and ready to start the day. When Jaina saw me she grinned from ear to ear. There are no words to express how much joy she brings to us and how glad I am that she is starting to thrive. She is a different baby from the one that was placed into our arms just a week and a half ago. She is playful and imitates everything we do. I love her smiles and her laughter most of all.

No comments: