Monday, July 14, 2008

We've Arrived!

We are finally in China! After a grueling 17 hour trip and major jet lag we finally arrived at out hotel last night at 9:30 pm. I have to marvel at how well our girls did on the trip. There were no meltdowns and very little fighting. I think they just accepted the fact that they were in for a long haul and settled in.





We left Albany at 6:oo am and traveled to Washington DC. We had a five hour layover ahead of us which became over six when a search began for a fourth officer needed for take off. Our plane had already been at the gate when we arrived--a 747 with two stories. So, my girls hunkered down with new toys from Riverwood designed to give them hours of enjoyment and guarantee parents a headache free travel experience.
When we finally boarded we proceeded to the very back of the plane, which was full. There was no hope of stretching out and those who were lucky enough to have a free seat next to them quickly claimed them for their tired feet. Laying in fetal position was all that is possible in two seats, but at least it's something! I had heads on my lap most of the flight and we looked like slumbering puppies, one on top of the other. A projector told us where we were in between movies and as we neared Alaska we could look down and see huge sheets of ice covering the sea. Alina hoped to catch a glimpse of a polar bear. We were over Siberia when most of us prepared to settle down and attempted to sleep. In between cat naps we slowly approached Tokyo and mainland China.

We caught sight of the mountains outside of Beijing and we regretted not having time to stay and see the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. Next time, perhaps. We were on a mission and understood that there was nothing more important than that. We were exhausted, giddy and jetlagged. I wasn't up to complex thinking and was not capable of finishing a sentence. How we even got to our connecting flight is still a mystery. All I know is that I found myself on another plane bound for Guangzhou and after a meal of Chinese style chicken and rice and some watery stuff passing off for jello, I tried to sleep. I must have succeeded because the three hour flight did not seem as long.

Guangzhou is a huge city of over 10 million people--larger even than New York City. Our tour guide told us that Guangzhou is one of the three largest cities in China, sharing the top spots with Shanghai and Beijing. What I noticed right off the bat was how much younger the populations is. I have never seen so many young people! Most of them were 20 somethings and all working in every kind of job imaginable. Even the transit workers wore flight attendant type uniforms and greeted us with a smile. I started to worry about being one of the few older temporary inhabitants, but soon breathed a sigh of relief when I started to see more parents and a few bald heads around--not counting Ed!

We walked over to the White Swan Hotel this morning and saw the famous indoor waterfall. There is a small pond full of brightly colored fish and beautiful foliage. It was cool and welcoming compared to the hot humidity that made the shirt stick to your back outside.

Then we walked in the park near the Victory Hotel where we enjoyed of the statues. Many represented different aspects of Chinese society's history. One sticks out in my mind of three women, one dressed in traditional chinese garb with the mandarin collar and cropped pants; another wears a transitional costume--a snug fitting dress with a mandarin collar; and the third is completely modern with a skin tight tank top, short shorts and high heels. I guess the statue is representative of China's move towards a less traditional society and a better economy.

After lunch we got ready to head out and get our daughter. Many people call it "Gotcha Day". Not my favorite term but still representative of what was going to happen. Our guide took us and another family, back for their second adoption, to the Adoption Registry Center to get our children. They had been brought from their respective cities to join us there. The room was pandemonium. It was full of noise, crying children and waiting families. As we waited for our child, who still hadn't arrived, I began to grow increasingly nervous. The kind of nervousness that forces me to the ladies room. My stomach was in knots and I laughed at myself because I was calm during the entire flight over and here I was feeling like flying saucers had invaded my belly.

After about a 30 minute wait--the little stinker wanted to make a grand entrance--she arrived held by her caregiver and a young girl of no more than 12. Jaina was very quiet at first, but when she began to realize that she was about to be left with a bunch of strangers, she started to cry. Ooh, the sobs! I knew this would probably happen and I was prepared for it. I also had prepared the girls for initial rejection. They were so patient and still wanted to be the first in holding her after I did. Briana stroked her head and kissed the top of it. Alina smiled at her, hopeful that Jaina would eventually look at her and smile. An hour later she did. We took photographs of the caregivers, thanked them for being a part of her first year and left. Jaina, who had been crying on and off during the registration, fell asleep in the car. I rocked her gently, kissed the top of her head and hummed lullabies in her ear. Back in our hotel room we gave her a bottle of formula, changed her into new clothes and then she played with her big sisters. She cooed and giggled at them and hit it right off, as I knew they would. A half hour later she fell asleep and is so still three hours later.





Our day is over and our little girl is now with us. She is everything I dreamed she would be and more precious than words could ever express. I am thankful for the gift of her and glad to be able to share my experiences with you as they unfold.








4 comments:

Jeannine said...

Congratulations!! Your head must be spinning. She is so beautiful! I get chills reading this. It is so amazing - this journey.

Jeannine

dcoxlecates said...

Tears of joy are rolling down my cheeks while reading your entry this morning! I am so excited for the FIVE of you. Jaina is a beautiful and blessed little lady! Many blessings on your continued travels --- we can't wait to meet her! Love, Debbie

Vikas said...

Oh wow...I'm so so so thrilled! Congratulations sis! You are truly blessed and thank you for sharing this incredible journey with us! The girls look so incredibly beautiful and mature! Ed is lookin like such the proud pops...four women in the Bischof household now! Whew!

Anonymous said...

Oh Ivy I am so happy for you and your family. She is a very lucky girl to have all of you to love and cherish her!!