Tuesday, July 22, 2008

This and That

Yesterday we took out girls to have their examinations for travel. It is not ordered by the U.S. but by the Chinese government. The place was a madhouse, filled with screaming children and parents making converstation. I had to chuckle at the sign posted above us asking us all to keep quiet. I don't blame the kids for yelling bloody murder. Some of the nurses were scary. We had to go to three different stations. The first took Jaina's temperature and got her weight and measurements. The second looked down her throat and took notes and the third was a physical examination done by a doctor. The second station caused the most agitation to Jaina and myself.
    When I entered her station, the nurse motioned for me to sit down. Because I didn't sit fast enough for her, she grabbed me by my arm and pulled me into the chair. I was appalled. Since I was still wearing the baby backpack I couldn't sit back with the baby in my arms, so I had Ed try to remove it for me. I leaned forward to have him pull it off and the nurse pushed my head back out of her way. She then proceeded to plunge a wooden stick so far down my baby's throat that she retched violently and immediately began to cry. I wish I could have told that scary nurse off, but it probably wouldn't have made a difference. Thankfully the doctor was much more civilised and spent a good amount of time with Jaina. Ed was very happy with the care she got.
    We have seen big changes with Jaina. She makes eye contact with us now and is very attached. Seeing her lift her arms to be held gives me the most satisfaction. It has been a dramatic transformation from a quiet, unresponsive child to a happy, smiling, cooing baby who looks right into our eyes and reacts to everything around her. She is trying to scoot and does a smashing downward dog! She takes steps when I hold her hands so I think it is a matter of time before she begins to walk. She is also comfortable enough to communicate when there is something that is bothering her. When she gets angry she will grab and pinch the nearest face, which earns her a quick reprimand. Our peanut is definately a handful. Yesterday we met the newest members of our group-- families from Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania, the latter by way of Belgium and Great Britain. To get to know each other better, our tour guide took us all out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant nearby. When one goes out to eat it is customary to bring out a bunch of dishes and set them on a lazy susan. That way everyone can enjoy a little of each dish and tea is served with each meal regardless. The challenge is having to use chopsticks but, at this particular restaurant, forks were provided. I made a good effort to use them as much as possible but I notice that the left side of my wrist hurts a little from being unaccustomed. Alina is a pro at it and has been since watching an old woman using them at an Asian restaurant in Boston a few years ago. It never ceases to amaze me at how quickly children learn to do things.
    We have gotten used to seeing certain things now. There are two large wedding boutiques on Shamian Island and photographers come out to take photos of the brides. The models are lovely and the dresses to die for. They get around the island on golf caddies and when the couples have to move to another spot, the bride lifts her skirts to keep from soiling the dress--but exposes her street clothes underneath. That settled a disagreement Ed and I had about the couples being genuine. I kept telling him they were models and he insisted they were real couples. I suppose the photographs are part advertisement for the boutiques, but I feel sorry for the models who have to wear such beautful gowns in this sweltering heat. It's very humid and it rains every afternoon. A couple of days ago we went out to eat at a deli shop by the White Swan Hotel and in a matter of minutes a great wind had started which brought down a table umbrella taking the glass table with it.
    We are almost done with all the paperwork needed to bring Jaina home. Monday morning our adoption facilitator had us fill out a ton of paperwork for out daughters' visas. While we talked shop, the dads took the kids to the Swan Room--a kid's indoor play area located in the White Swan Hotel lobby. I hear it had just been redone a week before our arrival and it was beautiful. It is an open space with wall-to-wall carpeting, a plasma TV with DVD player, and lot's of toys to keep the kid's busy. The hotel really caters to adopting parents and although there are many guests vacationing there, many of its guests are foreigners adopting babies.
    I think the biggest impression that I will take with me from China is the warmth of its people and their great work ethic. Laziness is not tolerated in the Chinese culture and even the poorest find ways to make a living. I see that from the numerous types of jobs people do even on bicycles, from transporting propane tanks, to water jugs, to garbage pick up. I have seen crates tied in bundles and balanced several feet above the cyclist's head. If I catch another one on wheels before I leave I will try to get a photo. Guangzhou is a city of 10 million people but you will not find a single cigarette butt on the sidewalks, even though people do smoke. No nonsmoking section exists in restaurants. It may be an old, polluted industrial city but, ironically, the streets are clean.

No comments: